Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Floral Inchies

Most of you know that clean and simple (CAS) design styles are my fav. So I'm sure you can imagine how EXCITED I was when Crafter’s Companion released their new line of Die’sire Essentials Metal Dies! 13 different sets!!! YAY! These are the basic shapes that I grab for time and time again when creating.
 
I designed this card with a couple of my favorite ways to use dies - Embossing and Stenciling. It’s super easy and really adds to a die-cut shape. I've also got some DIY Colored Cardstock and Quick Coloring Flowers with Spectrum Noir Markers.
 
 
Cut and Emboss
Die-cut white cardstock with 3” Square Die and the 3.5” Scalloped Square Die. (Follow manufactures instructions for correct "sandwich" stacking order on the machine you are using.)

This is how the cut shapes look at this point.
 
Now… let’s take it one step further…EMBOSS! Simply replace the acrylic cutting platform with the rubber embossing mat and embossing platform and run the cut pieces - still in the dies of course - through the machine again. (Follow manufactures instructions for correct embossing sandwich on the machine you are using.)
 
Look at the difference! AWESOME!
 
DIY Colored Cardstock
This next tidbit of information is a complete lifesaver for me. When I don’t have colored cardstock to match a project - I simply color my white cardstock pieces with a Spectrum Noir Marker that matches. Super easy…especially when using the chisel end of the marker. I only color the area that will show. No need to waste ink where you won’t see it ;) Now the pieces will perfectly match my card.
 
Stenciling
Stencils are sooo popular right now! Here’s an easy way to use the metal die as a stencil. Die-cut Kraft cardstock using the 1” Square Die. No embossing this time. Leave the cut piece in the die - as shown.
 Sponge the ink over the metal die onto the paper.
 

Look how goooood it looks! Like 2 pieces of paper stacked! I LOVE THIS!

Quick Coloring Flowers with Spectrum Noir Markers
Here’s how to color the small flower image from Sheena’s A Little Bit Sketchy - A New Leaf stamp set. It’s the perfect size image for making my “inchie” card design. I colored quick and simple -- intentionally leaving white spaces.
 
Color flower with PL1 Spectrum Noir Marker.
 
Add small amount of PL3.
 
 Add a dot of PL5.
 
Using PL1, color on top of PL5 and PL3 to blend down to PL1.
 
Color center with CT3.

Add a dot of CT4.
 
It actually took me longer to fussy cut each flower than it did to color them. HA! They’re popped up with 3D foam adhesive on top of the 1” die-cut squares. I also die-cut some yellow & white striped designer paper (from Doodlebug) using the 1.2” Scalloped Square Die. PERFECTLY sized to layer under the 1” Squares!
 
All the leaves were colored with CG1, CG3 and CG4. I did quick coloring on these too. Color entire leaf with CG1. Add CG3 where you want some darker shading. Add CG4 down the centers. Blend over darker color with CG1. Keep it easy ;) Fussy cut and adhered flat under the panels.

Naturally…I added some glitter. Just a touch on the dark purple spots of each flower - and a little on the centers. FUN STUFF!
 
ENABLER ALERT!!
Die’sire Essentials sets are only $12.95 a set! BUT....(drum roll) for a limited time, Crafter’s Companion is offering bundles at an even lower price per set!!! Check ‘em out HERE
 
I hope you try some of these great ways to use your tools and supplies. Thanks ever so much for dropping by!
 
 
Project Supplies:
Crafter’s Companion Die’sire Essentials Squares
Crafter’s Companion Die’sire Essentials Scalloped Squares
Crafter’s Companion Sheena A Little Bit Sketchy - A New Leaf stamp set
Crafter’s Companion Scruffy Little Cat - Autumn set
Spectrum Noir Markers - PL1, PL3, PL5, CT3, CT4 (flowers); CG1, CG3, CG4 (leaves)
Crafter’s Companion Kraft Cardstock
Patterned papers or cardstock of choice
Memento Dye Ink - Tuxedo Black
Ranger Distress Ink - Vintage Photo & Blending Tool
Art Glitter - Amethyst & Bananan
May Arts Twine
Diecut Machine and Embossing mats
Quickie Glue Pen

No comments: