Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Russian Leek Soup for the Soul

A Taste of the Country

Tonight I made something new for dinner. Russian Leek Soup. My first thought of Leek is "EWWWW!" Just the word sounds gross. Like a bug of some sort! I would have skipped over this recipe if my hubby hadn't been sittin' in the kitchen with me while I was looking through the cookbook. Mike LOVES leeks and was all fired up about the recipe. So like a good little wife I decided to give it a go.

<---HA! That there's funny...I don't care WHO ya are!

It was gooooooooood! Not only good...but fast and easy. That's what I like. Quick in the kitchen so I can get back to my stampin'! hee hee hee

A Taste of the Country Cookbook
Russian Leek Soup
by Joyce Molzen, Lovington, Illinois

5 tablespoons butter
2 cups leeks, chopped
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1-1/2 cups carrots, thinly sliced
6 cups chicken broth OR 1 can (49-1/2 ounces)
2 teaspoons dill weed
1-2 teaspoons salt OR to taste
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
5 cups potatoes, diced
1 cup half-and-half

Melt butter in large skillet; saute leeks, mushrooms and carrots for 5 minutes. Stir in broth, dill weed, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Add potatoes; cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Add half-and-half; cook until thickened.
Yield: 8-10 servings.



Enjoy :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY! I'm trying this - it looks wonderful!

Lorie said...

That looks delish!!! You are SUCH a good little wifey!! Just as good as me! :o)

Curt in Indy said...

This looks wonderful but what the hell are leeks anyway??? LOL Thanks for sharing this recipe.